1.14.2004

Song of the Evening - U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

What a difference a day can make. Yesterday went well, but today... wham. Another bug in some code at work that I get to spend the next two days trying to fix. This one, sadly, could be a hell of a lot worse than the last. And, because of said bug, I didn't get to hardly work on any of the shit that needs to be done for PlotMaker... so tomorrow night should be a fun one to say the least. Unfortunately, about the only thing that's holding me together at this point is the prospect of happy hour... which is a bit pathetic on a few different levels.

Thing is, I'm a person that loves to have things to look forward to. When i'm stuck in a tunnel with no apparent end, mired in a bog of screwed-up C# code and absolutely-enthralling technical writing, even the smallest things can bring some light into my day. Even if those things, like happy hour, run a very very high risk of turning awkward fast when bombs are inevitably dropped by those in attendance. And at this point, that's about all I have to look forward to. I might not head to the show this weekend over in mandan (if I can talk Cody into it, perhaps, but Brianne will be out of town, and i'd rather not go by myself), and i certainly have no clue whatsoever when i'll get to Fargo next. I'm trying for the weekend after my birthday, but that's even hard to say given finances and the condition of the Vehicle of Destruction.

The lack of cool things to look forward to has blown, but what sucks even more is that it seems like i've had hardly any moments "off" in a long time. With the work on PlotMaker, i haven't been away from the computer all that much... i'd say that each day this week i've spent a good 12 hours per day in front of one, either at work or home. That's a long time! I have movies that need watching and a brand-new red leatherette slipcase edition of Lord of the Rings to read.

But noooo... the code rears its head once again. Bear in mind, though, reader, most of this is my own damned fault, because I could have simply been working on PlotMaker over christmas break or something. But hey, it's break! 'Twould defeat the purpose, i think.

This is mostly why I got so fed up with school towards the end. What would end up happening was that i'd spend damn near all my time programming, reading, researching some history topic, or studying for exams. I was hardly ever social; if I had obligations I just couldn't shirk them and go hang out with my friends for some reason... i'd end up with this crappy guilty feeling. Sort of like if I skipped class. The bitch of it is that it would really get me down, too. See, I knew that my friends didn't make school out to be such a big life-or-death thing, so they were totally cool with hanging out amongst themselves... and did, without me, of course. I missed them, and it sucked. I was simply the kid on the block that could never come out and play. Naturally, this started really pissing me off towards the end, and i was incredibly happy to finish school so i could finally live a life where I had evenings and weekends free, where I could finally go out and socialize.

It's times like this week that remind me why I didn't go on to get my master's degree last May.

Friday shall be here soon, however. In the meantime, i'm calling it a night and hitting the sack. Dream sweetly, reader.

No comments: