7.29.2004

Hola!  I just decided to write another poem, so here goes!  It feels to me like it's incomplete, but hey, perhaps that's just because i'm a) fuckin tired and can't think straight anymore, or b) because it's so awfully hard for me to consider something complete in the first place.  Alas.  I'm sure i'll work on it more someday, especially if i ever try to compile these things and - gasp! - publish some stuff.  The Goat's not entirely too sure if he could pull that one off, but hey, some folks think it's okay, so maybe they see something i don't.  :)  Either way, i have a blast doing it, so it's all good regardless.

I rarely explain my poetry to people - i much rather they simply let it speak to them in its own way, for each individual - but i will say this:  I found myself out at Double Ditch with a friend of mine last night, and for some reason it was quite a spiritual experience... likely because of the energy of the place, and the stars being out and what not, and often when I find myself dropped into an unexpected spiritual "whoa" type of thing, one that lasts for a good while, i start reflecting inwardly on stuff.  And, should i harness those feelings, i can usually crank out a poem or two or something like that.  (as an aside, i have a really hard time just writing poetry or short stuff unless i have a profound - or semi profound - spiritual experience to draw off of..)

So anyways, without further ado, here's my latest bantering.  Hopefully you had an excellent day, reader.  Sleep well tonight, and stay warm - it might be a chilly one tonight, but there's plenty more warm days ahead.

---------------------------------

Travelers

7/29/04

night comes and so begins
the wandering
aimless in the witching hour

I reach the land’s edge and feel
elements melting into heavier stuff
dark water, crisp sky, heavy brushstrokes of cloud
in a tango with the spirits
all beneath the spotlight beam of a bloated moon

the dance captures me
compels me to pause, blind and lost
tricks me into reflection
and I ask, pause with me too
don’t leave me alone

return to yesterday for a limited time–
come back with me to this place we know
we’re just two souls living in divided time
a million miles apart
but here we can be one –

‘cause the same fat moon I see
shines down everywhere
casting its beam on our smiles and tears
lighting our eyes, firing our dreams
and blending us together
if even for
a single limited eternity

No comments: