12.20.2003

Well, a mild Friday night is finally winding down, and it's almost time for me to nestle into my queen sleigh bed for a long night of blissful winter slumber. This evening I took in Return of the King again, this time with the lobster, which was a lot of fun. 'Tis always good kicking it with those important to you, especially when you don't get to see them all that much.

Other than that, I didn't do a whole lot, but I did on a whim decide to go meet the old man for happy hour. Mind you, this ended up being at this wonderous establishment over in Mandan called the Stage Stop. Any third-rate bar with a totem pole out in the parking lot is something I tend to avoid just out of principle. However, feeling a bit intrepid, I decided to give it a shot. Hey, can't knock trying something new, can ya?

Well, I can in this case. All in all, it wasn't a totally terrible time, but definately not the best happy hour experience I've had. Seeing my dad for awhile was awesome, but the bar was indeed "special" and certainly did not suprise me in a good way. A bit on the WT side of things, full of the folk that I think must be looking at me weird because i'm not wearing oil-stained Carhartt overalls. One of those places, also, that the sort of older-age women (40+) that apparently think i'm hot shit might likely frequent. Nor was the food terrible, but nowhere near anything I would write home about, either. All this made for a fairly anticlimactic experience, if nothing else, and put a big red X through any future plans to return - mostly because of the ladies-the-age-of-my-mom thing.

I can't be that damned enticing, can I? I've begun to realise that I must have something that some girls dig, but I'll be fucked if I know what that is. And mostly it's just gotten me into some fairly bizarre situations in the local bars here, getting hit on by these forty-year-olds. Aaaaa.... If only I knew what it was, maybe I could keep it at bay if I ever end up at someplace like the Burnt Creek Club, or the bar up at Capitol Lanes, or (god forbid) the Stage Stop or Lonesome Dove.

Chances are, though - knowing me - I won't have to even deal with that potentiality. If I'm going to go out anywhere here, it's a restaurant, the Comfort Inn lounge, or Sidelines (the old Army's Sports Bar). I really doubt I'd get into awkward situations at the first two, and the last, well, everyone is pretty laid back there anyways and a bit on the younger side (mid thirties at their oldest, for the most part). That's not so bad; it's by far less creepy, and if i need to weasel my way out of weirdness, it's not as hard.

Alas, I likely bore you with my rants, reader. I shall hit the sack now. Hope your Friday was pleasant, and have a great Saturday.

No comments: