12.11.2003

Hola!

Today has been quite a bit better than the last, and I'm infinitely thankful for that. Chilling with Brianne rocked tonight, and stuff at work progressed at a fair clip. But, it was still laid-back enough to give me that warm-and-fuzzy feeling of "yay, it's almost Friday!" instead of the darker, more insidious "holy christ, this blows, thank god tomorrow is happy hour..." type of feeling.

Perhaps that was a little vague, but maybe you get the drift.

Thing is, it's been a little odd adjusting to this whole adult thing. Those of you that are down with the Goat are pretty well aware that i'm pretty level and mature and what have you, that most people think I'm at least 26 when they meet me. Alas, i'm not... I suppose in a lot of ways I do seem older than the average dude my age, but that doesn't make the task of going from a college lifestyle to the 9-5, Monday through Friday office lifestyle any easier. It's a royal pain in the ass getting out of bed at 6:30am, even when I do set the alarm for something like 5:25am cause i'm pathetically lazy and just love to hit snooze about eight million times before I actually get up.

And it's weird adjusting to the "happy hour" aspect. One tends to get in this mindset where Mondays are the unholiest of unholies and Fridays are about the best thing in the world (aside from Saturday mornings). It just so happens that cheap drinks and free food go hand in hand with Friday afternoons, too. By association one starts off particularly shitty monday mornings longing for Friday at 4, when i can sit down in the lounge with my $1.50 margarita and some buffalo wings or nachos or chicken strips or something and forget about the crappiness of the week for a bit. Well, for about an hour and a half, i guess, because i usually get bored and head home after that.

I'm definately not 40, and i'm trying like a bastard not to grow up any faster than i already have. This means, amongst other things, keeping my life diverse enough so happy hour doesn't become one of my few driving forces during the work week.

All in all, i think i'm pulling it off, too. I've been writing a bit more lately, and totally keeping up with reading, so I'm stoked about that. Nor do i do the happy hour thing every week; i've missed a few here and there, and in fact i'll be missing one tomorrow. We're having the company Christmas social at six, effectively fucking me out of going anywhere for drinks. That's beyond okay, though, given my cold (drinking whilst sick is just bad, my immune system usually gets thrown way out of whack) and the fact we're getting free Walrus food, too.

Free food from The Walrus ain't something you just turn down... :)

So i figure i'll go and make an appearance tomorrow night, score the free eats, and make a graceful exit. Probably won't stay too long since i have a funny hunch it'll be plenty weird hanging around a bunch of 40-year-old engineers and their wives, but i'll see. If there's anything that'll make you feel more single and out of place, though, it's that, dude.

That's it for now, i guess. Time for some beauty rest. Dream sweetly this calm and cloudy night, reader.

No comments: