2.03.2003

Well, I'm back from Bismarck, still in one piece. This is a good thing.

Right now, I just got a hankering to update the 'ol blog. I'm just sitting here, thinking about the year 3030. How we'll soon merge with machines, become one with the tools we've worked so hard to create. The ones I help create today. Dark, dark days lay ahead for us all.

Not a lot is new in my life. I'm in this limbo state, fresh out of a definate future. I'm single - and the well runneth dry as of late, and I've no particular idea where I'll be working come May when I graduate. It's really anyone's guess, but there stands a chance that I may get a job back in Bismarck at an engineering firm working on some really cool software. I might even help to manage some interns after awhile. It looks to be a "fantabulous" job. It'll blow my socks off! But if my socks stay on, so to speak, cause I don't get the job, I'll probably just stay working where I am now, in Fargo, if I can. It's a nice job; it can be hectic sometimes but it lets me flex my creative muscles - can't knock that too much.

My previous job, you see, was quite the stagnant sea of creativity. I worked at the main computer cluster at North Dakota State University, in a place affectionately called the "Service Center". My unofficial title whilst punching the clock there: "bitch". In a nutshell, I simply filled paper in the printers when needed, helped people print stuff in the back on the high-end colour printers, and answered peoples' questions. Not much of a creative outlet for a coder, much less a Goat. The people I worked with helped me stay sane, but I found myself fully drained and in need of some expression. Hence, my current title is now "database engineer". Word.

One nice thing about my job, besides letting me write some new code, is that I always have weekends off. Yay! So that lets me head back to Bismarck now and again, just as I did this past weekend. There we drank copious amounts of alcohol, both Friday and Saturday nights. Suprisingly, the Bailey's still remains (although not a lot...), but the Kahlua is toast, the Peachtree is almost gone, and there's hardly any Cruzan vanilla rum left. Alas. We all had a fun night, so I can't much complain. Steve came both nights, and so did some other friends - including the Lobster and her sister, the Chanimal, Toaster, Katie, and my best friend's bro "The Mexican". Fun times.

Aw, look at me, here I go rambling again... this whole rant needs a major unfucking; it's far too disorganised. Alas. Perhaps it's just all that thinking about the 31st century I've been doing lately... global apartheid and worldwide spiritual disconnection. In 3030, noone's feeling the love, noone feels quite right. Everyone wanders; everyone misses their cozy homes they don't have in a society of data mining and machine-driven life, in a land of information junkies and international broadcasting.

People flicker on and off, waver in and out, fly from light to dark and back again, in an antiseptic steel world of perfection.

Sshhh... listen - hold your lover close and watch for the sunrise. It's almost here.

No comments: