2.12.2003

Listening to some Sunny Day Real Estate ("How It Feels To Be Something On", a fine album) and drinking a tall glass of Brita-purified water. Ahh, the pleasures in life...

Today was a pleasant day. Work kept my interest level peaked, I got a few errands done - including finally getting some Carmax, I worked out with Steve, and I met with the other guy in my Operating Systems project group. We're working on the Resource Manager module of the distributed OS we're making, and I'm getting excited to work on it. I really get off on architecting systems, looking at things from the grand scheme and peicing all the little bits together. Of course, i still enjoy my lower-level implementation coding; I dig it when I'm in the zone, pumping out some phat programming wizardry, going at it all ninja-style and shit. But sometimes I need to pull myself away from that in an attempt to drive towards some balance.

I'm a balance junkie, what can i say?

I'm also a fucking Tower junkie. The Dark Tower, that is, by Stephen King. The whole series just rocks to beat hell. I read my first bona-fide Tower book, The Gunslinger, back out in California (so, something like 1996?), and I've been mesmerised by Roland's world ever since. Not only are the four books in the series amazing (the last three will be out in a year or two, supposedly), but so much of King's work connects with the series... books like The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, Rose Madder, Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia, and now even 'Salem's Lot bring it all together and enrich this place I can escape to now and again.

Oh, tonight I also crunched on PlotMaker some more. I wrote this visualization report this past weekend, and I extended it a little tonight to handle some mouse events and shit, besides just tightening the code itself and making the UI a little nicer. Hopefully it pays off.

I think I'll go venture across our hallway here in The Preserve and hit the shower. I'm almost out of words, so I'll spare you the pain of reading shitty writing (sshhh... i know what you're thinking!!). Sleep well, and dream of days yet to come and nights unforseen.

No comments: