8.06.2003

Whoo, it's been forever since i've written. I guess i've been pretty busy, so that's to be expected. Work has been pretty wild - the deadline for my code is fast approaching, and there's a good bit left to do. It's a rare day when i don't finish something on time (aside from PlotMaker...) though, so i'm sure I'll do okay.

I'd write more, but i'm pooped. Brianne and cody and i rode bike last night and i was kinda tired afterwards, plus slept like shit, so might hit the sack pretty quick here. I did however write a new poem, so here 'tis. Have a fine rest of the week.

-----------------------------------------------

The Here and Now

8/6/03

Ceaselessly I travel, enduring, moving place to place
Between lands metaphorically dead
To those quite dead in the literal
Transplanted alone in places new

Alone, like a conquistador, lost, parched, and forgetful
Forgetful of the homeland and the sweet grassy hills
Ceaselessly seeking my own Cibola,
But always finding just a land of small beauty –

A tiny flower the color of sunset
Rolling along the black paved smoothness of the café parking lot
Blown with the forgotten desert dust
Blown across the forgotten land


Clouds come and it rains, and like a rapidly fading blaze I remember
I remember with my withered Spanish soldier’s brain
The smell of the homeland, the calm of the sunset,
The way I loved to look in her eyes –

And I glance down, shielding my own eyes
(for the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, and I am most certainly that)
And stare at the dust and rock, the dead land

The rain chilling me, I retire for the night,
Thoughtless and without dreams,
The lands of greater beauty forgotten

No comments: