1.07.2006

try as I might

1/7/06

this reminds me of a lightning storm
almost two years ago that blew over
leaving me stuck on the sidewalk for hours; unlike
anything i’d seen
but before it held me, being naïve,
i felt why not capture it? such a thing must
be saved and what better way to
trap it than in a set of photographs?
with lightning so strong and energy so electric
i’d never miss a shot

only soon I discovered, upon the recovery
of my instrument in the dark
(a storm so strong
will render household power
useless)
that it’s batteries were dead –
o how i was saddened
by my opportunity lost!

alas in the hours after
as I watched that fearful and awesome display
I realized
things of this stature
are sacred
and the act of capture
might just do them
a bit of disservice
much as I hunger to describe them

No comments: