6.02.2003

new poem! word.

----------------------------

Somewhere

6/2/03

I’m going to sleep, going to dream…
Gonna leave the dark tonight


I sail east away from the sun
Orange behind me turning the freeway to gold
Slab of yellow through the green fields, leading me home

Gonna see you soon

It all falls silent; the air holds its breath
The speedometer, long broken, ceases its lonely plastic grinding
And my tires, worn down vulcanized hopes, hush up

Gonna pull myself from this sunset
See you in the light tonight


My companions fall to the earth below
In the other lane, a breakdown lane, thousand miles away
Just me, leaving the eighteen-wheelers and the sun, ascending to black

We’ll dance among the stars when we meet
I’m gonna smile my tiny smile,
And you’re gonna laugh your tiny laugh


But then my wind dies and I fall back to earth
Car, hope, and tears in perfect synchronous descent
Dancing in a silken rhythm of perfection
Leading me back to the long-haulers and the hum of treads on an easterly path
Turned almost black in the early night

Guess I’ll ride on home
An’ stay outta the light


I’ll sit in the night until the sun sets again, and we meet at last

Gonna see you soon

No comments: